The Penguins topped the Hurricanes 3-2 last night December 28th at PPG Paints Arena in downtown Pittsburgh. The game did not come easily for the Penguins. They were outshot 46 to 26 by the Canes, and had to use 2 goalies, as Murray was injured late in the 2nd and did not return for the 3rd. Fleury stepped in and played stellar, stopping 19 shots in the 3rd period.
If you missed the game, or just wish to relive the Penguins’ comeback win, giving them a tremendous 11-1-2 record in December, here is your recap:
8:10 1st period: HURRICANES GOAL. The Canes had the Pens pinned in their own zone for almost a minute, and the Penguins were unable to clear the puck. The Canes capitalized, as Hanifin faked a shot and made a quick pass to Lindholm who one-timed a shot past Murray before he had a chance to react. 1-0 Canes.
0:26 2nd period: PENGUINS GOAL. The Penguins came into the 2nd with more of a purpose against the Canes, and it showed just 26 seconds into the period. Schultz carried the puck into the zone, and fed who else but Sidney Crosby, who fired a one-timer past Cam Ward to tie the game. It was Sid’s 26th of the season. 1-1 tie.
12:32 2nd period: HURRICANES GOAL. New to the Canes this year, Teravainen fired a quick shot off of Murray’s right pad. Despite Murray making a solid save, former Penguin Lee Stempniak one-timed the rebound past Murray to give the Canes the lead back. 2-1 Canes.
1:59 3rd period: PENGUINS GOAL. Kessel gathered the puck in the corner and made a beautiful pass to Chris Kunitz, who rifled a one-timer past Ward. It was Kunitz’s first in 15 games. 2-2 tie.
15:45 3rd period: PENGUINS GOAL. Carl Hagelin played the role of hero tonight, notching his 2nd goal in as many games. After blocking numerous shots in their own zone, Daley led the rush and fed a pass to Hornqvist who had a partial 2 on 1 with Hagelin. Hornqvist froze Ward just enough, and then passed it to Hagelin who one-timed it past Ward with less than 5 minutes to go in the game.
PENS WIN 3-2.
- Sid – Crosby stretched his goal streak to 5 and now leads the league with 26 goals and tied Conor McDavid for the points lead. Pure insanity.
- Schultz keeps producing – Schultz had another point tonight, and why not? The guy is behind only Sid and Geno for most points in December…in the entire NHL!
- Murray/Fleury – both goaltenders came up large in this one. Murray played strong through 2, but Fleury had to come in cold after Murray was hurt late in the 2nd (Murray was seen with a slight limp, but severity of injury is unclear). Nevertheless, Fleury stopped all 19 shots he faced and escaped with the victory.
- December – the month of December may be a generally chilly one, but the pens are hot, collecting a 11-1-2 record in December, playing most of these games with a depleted D-core.
- Hagelin – #62 has had some trouble finding the score sheet this season, but he has 2 goals in his last 2 games, and seems to be playing with more confidence. Let’s hope his production continues to trend upward.
Next up for the Penguins will be Carey Price and the Canadiens on New Years Eve at PPG Paints Arena. Puck drop at 7:08 pm. The Penguins will then have 1 full week of rest before the play the Lightning on Sunday January 8th at 1 pm.